Ctrl+Alt+Del : Routine Day 5

I had been long waiting for this week. Not that I don’t suffer from Monday blues, infact I have been suffering blues for each day of the week. But this week was going to be different, because come weekend and I was going to head for home sweet home. The ‘Good Friday’ holiday meant almost all the ‘outsiders’ had planned a home-coming. I stretched it more by taking off the entire following week. Yeah, it was going to be a 10 day vacation for me. The very thought of going to Goa has instilled some kind of energy into my soul.

Others too have not gone without noticing the change in me. May be I was just floating in air.

Not that my project had any priority tasks or any releases lined up in this week, but getting a leave sanctioned was always supposed to be a Herculean tasks. Probably that might be one of the KRA for our managers to try to dissuade his sub-ordinates for taking days off. Somewhere deep within myself, I felt good too because this was the only time I felt I am needed. In reality I knew it for sure that me going on a week long leave, or for that matter even longer sabbatical, wont cause a iota of difference to the project. After much cajoling, that also included a couple of pegs of whiskey; I was able to get a week leave granted for me.

.
.
.
.
.
.

So Thursday afternoon after getting up from my siesta, I thought of skipping office. Not that I would call in sick or neither would I increment my leave count. I planned to swipe in and out of the office on my way to the railway station. Was confident enough that nobody would notice my absence, as it is hardly anyone notices my presence in office during other days.

Pumped up enough with the thought of ‘Fish Curry Rice’ and other mom made delicacies, I dashed to the bathroom for a quick bath. More than a refreshing bath, it was the thought of getting rid of facial hair that had propelled me. The absence of strictures in most of the IT firms, as far as formal dressing and looks were concerned, had made life easy for many lazy bumps like me. We hardly had any visual interaction with our overseas client and that only meant the keratin cells in my body would have a field day…rather field week …errr… field month. Shaving had at best become a bi-weekly activity, which quiet often stretched on to be a monthly ritual. But heading home I could have hardly afforded to lets the lose locks cover my face or the long beard make look like a medieval sage. For I feared my parents would even fail to recognise me and turn me away from the doorstep, at best with some alms. Worst still, even if they recognise me there was quite a good chance of my mom not letting me in until I have a close trim. In the past, irritated and frustrated of asking me to shave, she has refused to serve me food until I had one.

Not ready to risk any further delay for experiencing the homely ambience, I went about searching for the razor. Not recollecting what it looked like, I had to spend triple the time it should have taken for a regular. A thought of sporting a French beard just grazed through which I instantly discarded for a clean look. After struggling to run the blunt edges of the razor for a few times over the stubborn growth of hair, I was pleased to see the face from behind the veil of foam. Yet another time, I pledged to myself that I would be shaving on daily basis, very well knowing that the pledge wont stand for more than the day as it has been the case for the few times in the past when I had a clean shave. Applying the musk after-shave lotion from the nearly full bottle which I had bought when I set out of home three years back, I wondered whether it’s past its expiry date.

I dragged myself under the shower and let the body soak as I stayed still, hoping deep within me that someone would from behind the mist and massage my body with an relaxant. Seeing no such miracle happening I self-helped myself with the act and rushed out in a towel. The most dreaded task awaited me. This is probably the only thing of returning back home that I disliked, ‘packing my bag’. It’s so different from the journey way round, when mom used to take care of the activity and placing the creased shirts and tees nicely one on top of other. That following week is the one wherein I go to the office the best dressed, until I exhaust the entire lot of clothes ironed by mom. I wondered how I would have survived, if not for the casual attire permitted at my workplace. Cutting back to the task at hand, I started sprangling to all edges of my apartment to collect whatever I could lay my hands upon. From under the teepoy, from over the bed, those hanging on the ropes to those dumped at the corner.

I stuffed everything in my backpack, a part of missionware that we got every diwali. Adoring these goodies gifted by my company, be it T-shirt, or the bag, or the wind-cheater with the prominent logo flashed onto it always made me feel like a guinea-pig under test. Only solace was seeing many such guinea pigs wherever you went. On the local, at the restaurant, at the mall, together looking like a part of a heard ear-marked to be butchered.

“Goa, here I come” I voiced it spontaneously as I left my apartment.

As I enthusiastically trudged down the stairs, I recollected I had to ping at office on the way.
“Damn! Got to get my card alongwith.” I said to myself.

U-turned as zoomed back into and out of my apartment in a giffy. 

No comments: