Ctrl+Alt+Del : Routine day 3

After previous four unsuccessful launches, I had slept the previous night with double the determination to hit the gym early next morning. The taunts about my “ever-growing” tummy were a commonplace off late. However a passing remark by Stacy about my girth made me take the path to the gym, or rather take the decision to take the path leading to the gym.
“Hey Motu” her words still echoed in my ears.

So finally all determined that I was to get back into shape, I went to the gym to look out for an ideal timeslot and enrol myself for the same. After a couple of futile attempts to catch hold of the gym instructor, I was third time lucky.

The thing with any IT companies is that they would provide world-class facilities for the benefits of the employees, but won’t provide the employees with enough time to avail the same. My company wasn’t any different and our office campus also housed world-class gym, an Olympic length swimming pool, all to burn down the extra layers of fats we would accumulate around our waist, thanks to our sedentary lifestyle. Ironically enough it even housed a MacD J, needless to say people were seen in throngs at the latter than the former two.

I was kinda enthralled to be there in the gym. Infact it was for the first time that I had ventured in this part of the office since I had joined at this office a few years back. As I strolled past the heavy equipments, weights, and thread mills I had a mixed feeling. While the super-toned body of a handful few gave me inferiority complex, the vast majority of beer-bellied and oversized techies made me feel at home.

“Oye Milind, you too joined kya?” somebody shouted for one corner of the gym.
As I turned around to locate who it was further embarrassing me, I found Sid waving at me still lying down for his crunches. All I knew about Sid that he existed in the same office and we exchanged pleasantries whenever we met at the fag joint.
“Arrey haan yaar! Guess its high time for me” I winked back. “Where can I meet the instructor?”.
“There he is. One with yellow tracks.” Sid replied pointing towards a rather hefty guy.
“Thanks. Will catch up with you” I left him to carry on with his crunches.

A few quick steps and I was standing next to him. As he was assisting someone with bench presses, I could hold myself from comparing to him. May be somewhere down my heart I longed to be like him. But for now, I perfectly look like a Lilliput in front of a Gulliver. His biceps, triceps, forearms, thighs , all were strong and well toned. In fact his entire body was well chiselled and exhibited masculine abundance. Though I could beat him on one front. No marks for guessing, its the paunch that didnt existed in his case. Rather he flaunted a nice set of 8 pack abs.

As a stood there for a few moments, he jestured to me to hang on for a few moments.
“Hi, I am John. The gym instructor.” He greeted me as I was lost watching others sweat it out.
“Hi. Milind here” I responded.
“Guess you want to join the gym” he queried.
“Looking at me, that isn’t very tough to guess I suppose” I tried to be humorous.
“Ha!” he faked his laugh. “So what are you basically aiming at?” he added.

I was totally bamboozled at that query as I myself wasn’t very sure as to what end results I wanted to look at. Momentarily I flashbacked to Stacy’s comment which had motivated to take the path to the gym.

“I desperately need to reduce this paunch” I responded almost involuntarily.
“You bet” an instant reply followed. “So, we hit the regime tomorrow morning at 6 sharp”.

A bolt from the blue struck me at I tried to make sense of his words.
“Morning at 6?” I questioned.
“Yup. Dont have earlier slots available” he responded albeit sarcastically.
“I was looking for slots in the evening. Anytime after 6?” I queried.
“Sorry, but everyone wants to avail that slot. Its already overflowing” as his sight panned the expanse of the room.
“Cant you fit in just one of me somewhere in the evening” I almost pleaded.
“Sorry dude, I cant even allow a fly. You are seeing it for yourself. There isn’t enough space for you to workout.” He sounded unrelenting.

Somehow I felt he tried to test my determination by slotting me early in the morning. However, me too was destined to get back in shape and conceded for early morning rigours. I filled the form and was on my way back.

“So hoping to see you tomorrow morning. Sharp at 6” John said sarcastically.
I just smiled back.
“Hey! listen, you need to be in tracks. And carry a towel with you”. He added.
“Roger that.” I replied as I hush hushedmy  way out of the gym.

I went back to my cubicle to wind up my chores and head back home. Shakti was still there at his desk, peeping deep into his code as if trying to locate a microscopic bug.
“I thought you had left for the day”, Shakti asked looking through through corner of his eyes.
“Had been to the gym”
“What the fuck!” he laughed and so did the others in the cubicle.
“So finally Mr. Arnold has taken our comments seriously” said Jack.
“Had to” I smiled back.
“Hey Shakti, chalo yaar. Lets go to inorbit.” As I patted his back “Got to fetch some stuff”
“Hang on. Let me save my workspace.”

As Shakti religiously shut his PC down, which was not a familiar practice for the rest of the populace, I headed to the lobby to summon the lift. A elevator just zipped past as I waited for Shakti to arrive. We almost missed the next one too, if not for Shakti who came rushing.


No comments: