Ctrl+Alt+Del : Routine day 2

Even today my day started when others had already been done with their half days work. Winding up with my daily chores I started my march towards the office. No meetings lined up and no other tasks pending only meant that my stroll to the office would take much more than usual. I even managed to stop by at the ‘Chai tapri’ for a cup (or should I say half) of hot tea. I always had a complain for the tea vendor, for he never used to fill the cup and all it too was a sip for me to gulp down the contents into my stomach. The Rs.2/- that he was charging for it, didn’t made any sense to pursue my case. Like any other day I slipped a Rs.10/- note for which he replied with “chutta de do sa’ab”. This had become an institutionalised trick for shoving a few candies down my throat. So here was I richer with half a dozen ‘chloro-mint’ back onto the path that led me to my office.

Reaching the office reception lobby, it was a scene quiet different than rest of the days. It was much crowded than otherwise. We used to experience such pandemonium during the walk-in drives for freshers, but surely with recruitment had dried up for long and those good old days were just a part of memory.

Last time I had seen it was such crowded when there was a recruitment drive at our office. Graduates, mostly freshers used to throng our premises by the dozens. We too enjoyed those drives as it used to be a god sent opportunity for some bird-watching. We never let go such opportunity when in we take our pick amongst the many pretty faces. The anxiety or shall I say the nervousness used to make look even more splendid, or did it? At times, we tried to be the big brother giving them so called valuable insight in the recruitment procedure of out company. All the hopefuls, girls included used to surround us. Guess that was the only time I had girls around me.

But gone were those good old days. Since the recessionary bug had bitten most of us, our company had virtually put a freeze on the recruitments. Only the commitments through campus placements were honoured and there had been no intakes beyond that.

But today was definitely different. For a moment I thought it was a recruitment drive for they had the anxiety on their faces, but it wasn’t the usual nervousness that we saw generally. Besides a more inquisitive glance and I saw a familiar faces. Not that I knew them by their names, but I had definitely seen them earlier.

A few pings to my brain cells and I had the eureka moment. These were the freshers who had joined just a few weeks back. They were the campus recruits who were undergoing training at our learning centres. I had seen them in the cafeteria and thats how I could recollect a few faces.

Offlate we used to time our lunch so as to clash with their schedule. This was how we would get the glimpse of few pretty faces in the office. For in a mundane day, this used to be the only glowing beam of sunlight. But this programme soon got routine and we lost the interest in all the girls but one.

Resha, was definitely the prettiest face in our campus. Not very tall but one who would still stand out.  She had very angelic looks and she ensured her make-up enhanced it.

“Lagtaa hai puraa powder ka dabba khaali kiya hai” Shakti had once commented on her.
Shakti wasn’t among the one who would pass an comment on anyone but her overdose of make-up was simply a bit too much for him to take down his throat.

Those big eyes, with the eye-liner making them look even more bigger. Those flashy eye-lashes. Those blonde streaks over her burgundy “coloured” hair. The straightened hair flowing over her shoulders but adequately revealing her long earings. To add to all this the impeccable dressing sense, made one feal she is here for some fashion show.

She was definitely a head turner. For the beauty starved guys and equally so for the critical female folks who just could not hold back their evil and jealous stares. But Conscience of these stares that she was, she ensured she enjoyed every second of hogging the limelight. Always moving with a bunch of sidekicks, she made us look like a political leader moving around with his bunch of toadies.

I gathered my thoughts back as I un-consciensely tried to locate her amongst the crowd. Disappointed that I could not get her glimpse I moved towards the lift door. The panel indicated that the lift had was ascending and I shall have to wait for quiet some while before I could avail it.

Waiting at the doors of lift, I repeatedly pressed the button on the panel to summon the same. But I knew the lift wasn’t in any hurry to airlift me to my destination and the button was just a placebo.

As I waited there I had a feeling of missing something. I don’t know why but I had forgotten something and it was bothering me.
“What is it?” I said to myself just as it struck my mind.

Among all this hoi polloi I had missed staring at Stacy. I had moved quiet far from her desk but I knew even for this far her looks definitely deserved a few steps backwards. However I resisted myself the temptation of taking the walk back risking of making my stare pretty much obviously.

While

“How can do this to us? We haven’t been given adequate oppurtunities too?” these words fell on my ears from the crowd.
“You bet. Guess they were to chop somebody. And who better than us freshers?” countered somebody else.
This words suddenly rang a bell in my head, and I quiet strongly suspected that these people were shown the door.


A chill went down my spine. Our company had resorted to large scale of employee retrenchment. The management had virtually goten rid of the huge new-joinees with a concept of virtual pool. The same people whom they had recruited a year back sensing tremendous business growth and luring them with exorbitant pay package were be asked to stay at home. All the hopes that they had build up in them with the appointment letter with 6 figured salary and incentives had been shattered with a single mail from the chief HR officer.



I had seen a few faces in tears when they had seen they short lived career dream come crashing down. I cursed the management because I had high hopes of luring one of those pretty faces at least this year. I have been trying to hook someone with arrival of each new batch, but needless to say had single till date.

No comments: