Ctrl+Alt+Del : Routine Day 8

I was building iceman with bipasha in the swiss alps, scuba-diving with Katrina in the pristine waters of bali, gyrating my hips with Priyanka in front of the sphinx and crooning some melodies around the conifers in Canada with Asin when the loud chatter interspersed with the demonic laugh woke me up from my dreams.

From her voice, I sensed my aunt had arrived and I knew I won’t be able to resist her for long. I tried ignoring and dwelling in my dreams but futile. She to say the least was a pest, always trying to pin you down and leave to chance to strike back. And worse still, if you were got even with her, she would blew tantrums and leaving my mom with a herculean task of pacifying her.
Even the last time I was down I had a brush-off with her and had experienced it firsthand. My mom had strictly reprimanded me for that behaviour and had warned me to behave. I tried to avoid her by prolonging my siesta but she too seemed all determined to confront me. With her showing to signs of leaving, I had to beat a hasty retreat from my plans and I got up from my bed.
The clock just struck 11 times then. Had it been a couple of years in the past my father  would have kicked on my butt to wake me up had I dozed any longer than 8’o clock, but since I was back at home for vacationing, I knew I received a special consideration from my mom who much have prevented my pop from flexing his legs.
So lazingly I strolled out of my room.
As I emerged into the leaving room where they were sitting, my aunt rushed to give-up a hug, and a tight one at it.
“Good Morning Beta!” She greeted
I always hated her squeeze when we were young and now that I have added more years to me I hated it even more. Seeing her huge frame ala yokuzhuna, charging at me I almost trembled in my pyjamas wondering how could I possibly defy her. And almost instantaneously I let out a big yawn from my yet unbrushed mouth, and that worked wonders. It was a touch and go affair for her as she retraced her path by to the couch, thus me getting off we just a pat on the shoulder.
My mom wasn’t very pleased with my jesture, but I could see her too finding it tough to conceal her smile.

“Good Morning Mausi, How’s you?” I responded, still rubbing my eyes and resting my bump in the couch.
“Very fine Beta” she responded.
“But you have pulled down a lot. Missing mom’s homemade food there?” she rhetorically asked not excepting any response.
I sensed that and smiled back.
“How’s Bunty and Babli, Mausi?” I queried.
Bunty and Babli were my cousins. Bunty was pursuing his Engineering studies at some private institute in Karnataka, while Babli had dropped out of her graduation studies.

“They are doing good” she replied. “Know what? Bunty came first in his class in his third year and has also got placement in Infosys”. She added with pride.

Bunty wasn’t an exceptional student right from school, but his mom always made him look that. Even after passing out from his higher secondary school examination, he could not make it to any of the colleges in the state and thus had to opt for a lesser known institute. I had heard that his father had to shell out quite some moolah to get him inducted. She might be able to fool the most of our clan, but me myself having interacted with him and known his academic prowess had managed to skip being spellbound by her stories. Though each time I didn’t point it out to her, and so too this time.

“Wow! That’s great” I said. “And what about Babli?”
“Yes, he got the best salary among all and also they have being him option of choosing wherever he wants to join” she conveniently choose to skip the later half of my question.

I had a fair idea about how the freshers recruitment drive happen in the colleges. Students in their 6th or 7th semester where picked up in lots and were offered an standard starting package. All one needs to have is a minimal level of aptitude, even with absolute zero exposure to anything remotely IT. My cousin himself being an automobile engineer making the cut was evident for the fact.

“Hmm. I see. So did you find a match for Babli?” I pondered again.
“Milind, got freshen up” my mom intertwined sensing my aunt may be uncomfortable answering that.

Babli has been her Achilles heal for she had been finding it tough to get her married off. Babli though good looking had been a arrogant girl. Her tantrums were known to most in the family and so in the colony. Besides her education, or lack of it, her too choosy nature had turned away many grooms back.

“Yes Beta, Go brush your teeth and have breakfast” aunty added to it.

I sensed the opportunity and excused myself off from their company and moved to the bath to freshen up. I could hear their chatter from behind the wall. My aunty has grazed onto the topic of my wedding somehow. Within no time she had even suggested a couple of girl as bride for me, one of whom I knew and utterly disliked.

I hated my aunt anyways, but she just slipped down even more on that scale for me. With this thought put in my mom’s mind I knew there is going to be a serious argument at home one of the following days when I am stay put. For now just to deter my mom from dwelling more in the business of matrimony I shouted to call her to fetch me breakfast.


She promptly rushed to the kitchen to serve me the Aloo-paratha that she had made for me.

No comments: