Googled

Somewhere midway through a routine and needless to say boring day at the office; As I was aimlessly glaring at the code on the screen, something popped at the bottom right corner of the screen. As I shifted my sight from the IDE to checkout as to who felt like spamming my mailbox, it was yet another forward from an OB friend of mine who had religiously taken up the task of filling my inbox to the bream. I had even contemplated setting a outlook-rule to re-direct her mails into the thrash bin but then held myself from it because they were the only good things that happened to me in the long and strenoous day at office. So as I involuntarily clicked on the pop-up to glance(not read) at it before moving it to its final resting place, I was pleasantly surprised to see a nice pic of a person performing pooja. Pooja of God. No, you got it wrong, I didn't mean to indicate any deity worship but GOD stands for Google Oriented Development. "Yet another forward"? naah, it wasn't just another forward anymore and how it could be? After all, it had to do with Google and more importantly it was about glorification of google.

Google, has been the MAAI-BAAP of vast humanity of IT geeks. Well, I wont be very wrong if I go a step further and say the entire Indian IT industry is based on two pillars. One being 'google' and the other being "copy-paste". Googling the keyword, and copy-pasting the code has been the mantra for the IT nerds across companies and hierarchies. It shouldn't be surprising to see parody of the motto of an India IT giant read as "Powered by Google, Driven by copy-paste".

Take a second off and ask yourself "When was the last time you use the word 'Web-Search' in your life?". Chances are there that even rewinding through years wont fetch you the answer. So much so that Google has been the synonym for web-search, it has been a synonym for source-code for us. Needless to say, it has created a own brand for itself in this pursuit.

Google has been an integral part of the lives of Software Engineers. So much has been the impact, that the day (god forbid) Google site is down, many among us will have to leave for a vacation. I openly acknowledge the value of Google in my life and even further add to it that my survival in this world of IT depends on my access to it. For that matter, even the companies that recruit us involuntarily acknowledges this fact. Otherwise, wonder why Google site is never blocked in the most stringent of the workplaces? What else can justify the fact that 'Google' is the site which is set as browser homepage by majority who access the "mayagaal" of web?

Google, as a company too has been worthy of accolades. What started as a university level project venture and transformed into a name to reckon with in matter of not many years. Their business model has been reaping huge gains for Google and with its innovative and more so free software, it has been giving the other big-wigs a run for their money. Not only it has been hawking for more share of IT pie, it has promoted itself up the ladder of 'best-employer' list.

So, everybody say "Om jai google hare, swami jai google hare!" ...

P.S: I reccomend you use www.blackle.com. This site is a Google custom search and claims to save on energy usage. The claims on energy saving need to be cross-verified though the search-results are the same as that google.

No comments: