Aussie Sojourn - Day Zero

I got grant for myself and my family (wife and daughter) in early December and had to make the first entry by May. Since I had to take along my family for the validation I planned this more as a leisure trip and didn’t think about planning for any interviews. I had booked my ‘To’ tickets to Melbourne well before I have got a grant (took a gamble there) and got them for a paltry 50k for 3 of us on Air Asia. So we left Goa for Melbourne with an 8 hours layover at Kuala Lumpur. So the flight that left at 9 PM IST on Saturday reached at the 12.10 AM at Melbourne. In the flight I was given an immigration form where I ticked ‘permanent resident’ (NOT Leisure as few suggested in this forum) as I wanted to have the PR initiated as early as possible. Declared a few medicines and nothing else. Immigration process went hassle free without any questions and we were out of the airport within a few minutes. Hailed a cab and went to the place I had booked on AirBnB. Taxi run on meter so no scope of fleecing customer; a 15 mins drive cost me around $54. Taxi driver helped me locate the house and help me with the luggage. Experienced this courtesy throughout my stay at Australia.

The AirBnB host (Brian) welcomed me to his home and showed me around his house and then hosted us till your room. He had MyKi cards ready for us and also had city pamphlets for different attractions. Please note the host was awake at a very odd time just to welcome us in. We freshened up and got in the bed after wishing the host a good night and with a relief that a major milestone has been achieved: WE HAD ARRIVED.

No comments: